Monday 2 March 2015

Cast On February-April 2015: A Review


With today's post, I am adding a new magazine to the roster of knitting magazines I review on this blog. Today's review will be of the February-April 2015 issue of Cast On: The Education Journal for Knitters, which is the official publication of the Knitting Guild Association, and which I had somehow not been aware of until recently though it has been in publication since 1988. This kind of thing is yet another example of why you won't hear me claim to be on top of what's going on in the knitting scene. I just try to keep up enough to not embarrass myself too often. And am apparently falling short of even that.

After browsing through the patterns in their back issues on Ravelry, I can only say I am very glad to have belatedly discovered Cast On, which seems to offer collections of patterns that are very consistently my preferred kind of knitwear design: wearable, flattering, polished, and technically interesting.





The Anniversary Cape. Quite pretty!





Boho Banded Jacket. Not too taken with this one, though it does have quite a bit going for it. It deserves better shaping, because as is it looks a bit like a rug tied in place.





Celeste Sweater. Pretty summer top, though I would make it more fitted through the lower body. It looks a little maternity top-ish as it is.





Chain Mail Scarf. Attractive, interesting and wearable little scarf.





Fountain Lace Tank. Very pretty, and rather sexy in the nicest of ways. Love the fan-like lace detailing. It maybe could do with better finished edges.





Lacy Boat Neck Sweater. I can't see enough of this to assess it properly. What I can see doesn't look all that flattering.





Maggie Prescott Jacket. I very much like this chic and contemporary jacket on the whole. I'm a little torn on the lapels, being inclined to think the lapel should continue down to the hem of the jacket, but then I wonder if, although it's unusual, it isn't working perfectly well as it is and in fact making the jacket what it is. Hmm.





May Day Flower Socks. Lovely, lacy little socks.





Montego Tee. Love this one, which is contemporary and has a "smart 1930s sportswear" vibe at the same time.





Short Row Baby Blanket. Elegantly simple.





Short Row Pillow #1. Very cool and totally useable design that would look right in most home decor styles.





Short Row Pillow #2. I don't like this cushion pattern as much as the one above, but it's still an attractive and eye-catching piece.





Simply Striped dress. Love this one, with its wonderful clean lines.





Two Faced Shell. I am usually a tough sell on anything asymmetrical and think colour blocking is a high level design skill that doesn't work most of the time it's employed, but though this has both, I like it so much that I've added it to my favourites on Ravelry, which means I am very seriously considering making it in the next year or two. The shape is so good and polished, and the design is visually striking. My one tweak would be to lengthen this a little so as not to show any midriff.





Undulance socks. These are well designed, though the sample colourway is making my eyelids twitch.





Wedding Shower Gifts. Nice little washcloths.





Westray Vest. This is another design I can't assess properly because the only picture available doesn't show enough of it. What I can see looks like a nice, classic cabled vest.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that robin's egg blue jacket is almost the perfect knitted jacket. I would taper the lapel down to nothing at the waist rather than have it stick out, but otherwise it's PERFECT. I never heard of this magazine either and now I'm going to have to subscribe to get this pattern. I've just discovered your blog recently. When I did, I read every single post back to Day 1! Really enjoy your pattern reviews.

    ReplyDelete