Wednesday 1 April 2015

Knitscene Summer 2015: A Review


Knitscene has released their Summer 2015 issue. Let's have a look at it.





Lake Superior Cardigan. I'd raise the dropped shoulder and make the sleeve more fitted. It's not a bad piece otherwise.





Lake Ontario Hat. I live less than two miles from Lake Ontario and I see zero resemblance between it and this hat, but it is a nice hat. Though I would make it in a non-pinkish colour as it does look a little breast-like from the top in this colourway.





Lake Michigan Tee. Nice, simple, wearable piece. I'd gladly wear this.





Lake Huron Wrap. Two strips of knitting randomly slapped together. This piece doesn't look good in any of the photos where it's being worn by the model.





Ouverte Tee. Good shaping and stitchwork. It'll require an underlayer, but with the right one (i.e., not this one) the effect could be pleasing.





Allongé Tee. This could work in the right yarns and colourway. This one manages to be both bland and jarring.





Devant Tank. Nice piece. I like the face-framing detail around the neck.





Battement Tee. Not bad. It's striking and well-shaped. I think the colourway is putting me off it somewhat, but that's just personal preference because it isn't an objectively bad colourway.





Couru Cowl. Lovely! The texture is simply luscious.






Sissone Tee. This isn't bad. A sharper colourway would probably elevate it a lot.





Elevé Pullover. The cropped length and boxy shape is hideously unflattering even on this lovely professional model and the geometric pattern looks for all the world like a shark's open mouth.





Tisbury Pullover. I think the shark's mouth on the previous sweater ate the back of this one.





Green Apple Tank. This kind of construction can be tricky — I think I panned a top with a similar back the other day — but this one sits so well that I have to give it a thumbs up.





There isn't a really good picture of the front, and I've got my concerns that this design may bag a little in front, but what I can see here looks fine.





Ladyslipper Tank. Not a fan of this one. It just doesn't have any real style or interest to it.





Taffy Cowl. Nothing special.





Serape Shawl. A lovely way to add a touch of southwestern style to an outfit.





Mattie Wrap. This has a certain comeliness in its texture and border, but it did need some better shaping. It doesn't hang well as is.





Alamogordo Socks. Eyecatching!





Roslyn Tank. Not a bad little flirty piece. Do make sure you make it big enough for the wearer. This sample is pulling apart between the buttons on this model.





Lorena Cardigan. Quite like this one. The tab-style collar and the twisted stitch detailing give it a contemporary and polished look.





Kitty Kerchief. Not a bad cowl. It deserves a more interesting yarn choice.





Loretta Mitts. These look like they've been upcycled from old Roy Rogers and Dale Evans costumes.

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree with you on the Lake Ontario Boob hat...I live 20 mins away, and where they got pink from, I have no clue.

    ReplyDelete