Friday 21 August 2015

Debbie Bliss Knitting Magazine #15: A Review


Debbie Bliss Magazine has released its fifteenth issue. Let's have a look at the knitted Bliss within, shall we? (Sorry Debbie, I know you've heard that one approximately 3748 times.)





Blanket Scarf. The yarn used here really makes this very simple scarf.





Cabled Armwarmers. Pretty basic, but they'll do. You might want to make them a little more fitted than they are here.





Cabled Turban. Very Sunset Boulevard. This is not a good thing, unless one is actually cast as Norma Desmond in an actual stage production.





Check Sweater. Quite pretty and cosy, but I would neaten up the fit.





Check Sweater with Contrast Sleeve. I'm not liking the fit, the colourway, or the contrast sleeve (which has that "ran out of yarn" look), but I can picture the basic design working if it were better shaped and made in better colours with two matching sleeves.





Checked Zip Jacket. Not a bad concept or shape, but I would definitely change the colourway.





Chunky Garter Stitch Sweater. Pretty colours, but that is one baggy, unflattering shape.





Contrast Sleeve Sweater. It's not a terrible concept, but again the fit is terrible. Even the model looks stunned to find herself wearing this.





Dog's Tooth Check Baseball Jacket. Not bad, but it definitely deserves a better integrated and more sophisticated colourway.





Fringed Sweater. This wouldn't be a bad piece if the shape were neatened up a little, but WHY THE FRINGE. WHY WHY WHY.





Hooded Sweater. Basic but serviceable. I'd run a stripe in the main colour through the contrast colour hem, cuffs, and hood ribbing to make it look a little smarter and more pulled together.





Jacket with Tartan Pockets. I love tartan detailing and want this to work, but it isn't quite. I think I'd make the tartan pockets considerably smaller, and maybe also make the sleeves in tartan.





Lace Cowl. Nice cowl which deserves to be put over an attractive top, as opposed to whatever horror the model is wearing.





Long Line Waistcoat. This is Dr. Zhivago's Lara, looking out the window at post-revolutionary Russia and pining for the day when there'll be decent consumer goods available in Russia again. I am sorry to say it'll be a very long wait and, er, well, you have more pressing concerns, Larochka.





Poncho Wrap. I wish I could see the bottom of this, but it looks well so far as it goes. That is such a beautiful shade of red.





Reindeer Jacket. Cute. Done in the right colours, this could be a nice little Christmas season sweater for the little guy in your life.





Shoulder Cape. This is very "beginner project", with no interesting or attractive details. Even if you are a beginner, you deserve to make something less bland than this.





Striped Sweater. Very presentable and wearable basic design.





Tank Top. This is the outfit Dr. Zhivago's Lara is fond of wearing as she plays her balalaika, sings sad songs about her lost lover and daughter, and awaits Stalin's next purge.





Tartan Detail Sweater. Another tartan design where the proportions aren't working. I like the collar, but all the tartan at the bottom is too heavy an effect. I think what I might do is knit the body in the main colour, and make folding cuffs in tartan.





Triangle Scarf. This is a little over the top. I think I'd knit it in a smaller size, and maybe add a fringe.





Triangular Scarf. This is a nice useful piece that would work over a lot of outfits.





V Neck Tunic. Do not adjust your computer screen... this sweater really is as bad as it looks.





Zipped Sweater. Very nice. I like the touch of contrast colour at the cuffs and inside the collar, and the matching zipper is an excellent finishing touch.

10 comments:

  1. Horrible. So few items are attractive and they're mostly the kids' stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your reviews and agree with you 95% of the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think she does lovely children's designs but has never worked out how to do adult things. I used to knit her designs for my children, would rather upsize them to adult size than use her adult designs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not her best magazine, is it? There is little I would consider making or paying for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The kids' outfits are sweet, but as for the adults-- well, I never thought I'd hear myself saying this, but the 80s are back. The bold intarsia, the dropped shoulders, the baggy fit-- about the only person who could work this look is Lisa Bonet as Denise Huxtable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's pattern releases like this that make us so thankful for Ravelry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I'm not impressed with that collection - what on earth was she thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am surprised that this issue is from 2015 - most of the patterns look dated and unflattering!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agree with other commenters that Bliss's forté really is designing for kids and babies, which she does brilliantly. I haven't bought a knitting mag in years, so I can't thank you for saving me money, but it's good to know that I am not missing anything!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, dear: I had a bad moment there, for the Shoulder Cape makes it look like the model's head is on backwards.

    ReplyDelete