Wednesday 9 March 2016

Knitter's Magazine 121: A Review


Knitter's Magazine issue 121 is out! Let's have a look at it.





Hello Doily. Love this one. It's simple yet distinctive, and very wearable.





Puppy Teeth. Man, this picture is so 1980. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though. This is a classic vest. I don't care much for the colourway, but then that's personal taste, not an objective criticism, as the colours do work together well.





Mermaid Tails. What a lovely piece. I like the stitchwork so much I'd also like to see it used for an afghan.





Embers Waistcoat. This is one of those pieces that had potential but didn't get where it deserved to go, design-wise. It has a rather rough, slapped-together look to it as is. Better shaping and finishing would have done wonders for it.





Laced Checks. This design actually employs shoelaces for the mock whip-stitches. I can't say I care for the effect at all -- it's too "Pebbles Flintstone Goes to College".





Cowboy Stars. I like this one on the whole, though the motifs look too blob-like and could have stood to be a little crisper and better defined.





Color Control Wrap. I rather like the post-modern, minimalist feel of this one, but it does look more like an afghan than a wrap.





Big and Little Teeth. Another very eighties piece. This isn't bad. I like the child's version better as the adult version is an awkward length on the model.





Deep Blue. I wish I could see the front of this, but it does look great from the back. The pattern description suggests wearing this piece under a jacket during the day and wearing the halter by itself to go out at night, and I agree that's a good idea.





Fire Diamonds. Quite a striking design, and the shaping is good.





Strata. Very much like this one. It comes across like a re-imagined classic tartan skirt. The use of modular design and self-striping design is original and clever, and it's well-shaped.





Santa Fe Shrug. I was iffy on the shape of this shrug at the bottom, but I think I'm going to come down on the side of liking the piece. It is very nicely detailed. I will say I don't think the embroidered details are adding anything.




Classic Little Black Skirt. This is... okay. Though I would do those bottom stripes in another yarn and colour.





Fire Ball. That's an inappropriately exciting name for a dowdy pattern that looks like it came from the pages of a seventies homemaking magazine.





Razy Caps, No. 1. That's a pretty yarn, but this looks like it was designed and knitted by a beginner.





Razy Caps, No. 2. This one is a little less rough and ready than the last one.





Razy Caps, No. 3. This one is rather cute in a quirky sort of way.





Razy Caps, No. 4. This one is similar to the last one, and I love the yarn used here, but the earflaps push it into "too silly" territory for me, even though I know earflaps must be practical. But then my taste in hats is a beautifully detailed classic tam that I can pull down over my ears.

1 comment:

  1. OMG! Pebbles Flintstone goes to College. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete