Monday 21 March 2016

Knitty Spring/Summer 2016: A Review


Knitty has released its Spring/Summer 2016 issue. Let's have a look at it, shall we?





Liquid Honey. An attractive piece of work that can be worn either as a shawl or as a scarf.





Gocce Shawl. I'm quite taken with this piece, which is beautiful, original, and visually interesting.





Pinwheel Shawl/Vest. Quite like the lacework in this one, and the beautifully finished edges. The pattern also offers instructions for turning the shawl into a vest with the aid of a shawl pin.





Pincha Shawl. Very pretty! The yarn used here works incredibly well, evoking the veined look of real leaves.





Skyesong Shawl. This is nice enough, but a little too openwork for my tastes. I always imagine pieces like this catching on absolutely everything.





One Skein, One Stick. This is a woven piece, and although I know beans about weaving, I like it. The texture is great.





Inhabit Pullover. In the introduction to this pattern, the designer says she created this piece for those like herself who don't like figure-hugging, close-fitting garments, and that this sweater, which she is modelling herself in the photos, was designed to be lived in. Certainly there's nothing wrong with a loose-fitting garment, and this loose fit does look fine on her as it's not so loose as to be sloppy, but I can't help mentally tweaking it by raising the dropped shoulders.





Bay Laurel Pullover. This looks something that was randomly tacked and slapped together so as to have something, anything, ready for a deadline.





Dubrovnik Cardigan. This one has a nice simplicity and just the right amount of detail.





Mod Waterfall Vest. This piece, which has a crocheted back and a knitted front, is one of those unstructured pieces that I've tried to like but just can't. To me they usually look like something a ragged, slatternly Dickensian character would wear pinned around her while on her way to the work'us.





Stiorra Pullover. Love this one. The lace inset detailing on the back and sleeves is ever so pretty. The pattern is sized for eight years up through adult size 3X.





Mejram. When I first saw this I thought it looked silly, but the more I look at it, the more I think detachable sleeves are an idea that could work on any woman as long as they're on a sweater that otherwise suits her. After all, it has worked in the past. In the early nineteenth century dresses such as this one were often made with detachable sleeves to make it possible for the women they were made for to use them for both day/evening and winter/summer wear.





Eternal Spring Socks. Very pretty socks!





Feel Good Socks. I like these so much I might just have to make some myself, in white. I like perfect little cotten anklet socks like this and I can't seem to find them anymore.





Rectify. And another nicely detailed sock pattern to round out a trio of them.

2 comments:

  1. I had always wondered what the origin of leg-o-mutton sleeves was. Now I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of that, but I wouldn't be surprised if you were right -- good catch!

      Delete