Friday 11 November 2016

The Fruits of Four Years


Yesterday was this blog's fourth, or "fruits and flowers", anniversary. I did a post of selected floral-themed knits for May Day several years back, which means my anniversary post be all about fruit-themed designs. These are the Citrus Mittens, designed by Kris Knits. I love the artistic and realistic level of detail in them.





Kid's Fruit Cap. These little fruit cap patterns are so ubiquitous on the knitting scene I had to include them. It's easy to understand why: they are cute, quick and easy to make, and very versatile, because one can change the kind of fruit represented by changing the colour and by adding or removing seed stitches as desired.





How cute are these are the Watermelon Socks, designed by Wendy Gaal? I can't believe I like them so much -- I am not a goofy socks person, and I hate watermelon.





Apple Cloth. I wish I liked using knitting dishcloths, as I'd then have an excuse to make some of the many, many dishcloth patterns that are out there, but I'm a J-cloth woman to the bone. The pattern for this one isn't available any longer, but it would be dead easy to recreate the pattern from this picture.





The Icewine Mittens, by Em Holbert. Very pretty and winter-y.





These Strawberry Booties, by Hrönn Jónsdóttir, are what the well-dressed baby wears to the Strawberry Festival.





The Grapevine Hat, by Amy Loberg. I love these rich, warm colourways for winter wear.





The Strawberry Top, by Ewelina Murach. This is simple, wearable, and cute, but I think I'd do the strawberry outline in duplicate stitch or even in intarsia rather than crocheting it on top.





The Watermelon Cardigan, designed by Kerstin Olsson. This is a Bohus Stickning pattern from 1961, and you might have some difficulty tracking down a pattern for it, but I had to include it because I love the way the beautiful colourway evokes a watermelon slice without being too literal.





The Strawberry Mittens, designed by Natalia Moreva. In the midst of winter, you can find an invincible summer, not only within you, but also on your hands. Top that, Albert Camus.





А компот?!, by Natalia Moreva. It's no coincidence that so many of the items in this post are mittens. Mittens are like little canvases for knitters, and they're also perfect places to run with a whimsical, intricate motif that might look too juvenile or be too much work on a larger item like a sweater.





Blueberry Mittens, by Ricaco Kimura. A simple and effective graphic rendering.

No comments:

Post a Comment