Tuesday 22 May 2018

Vogue Knitting Spring/Summer 2018: A Review


Vogue Knitting has released its Spring/Summer 2018 issue. Let's have a look at it. Unfortunately I won't be able to link to the Ravelry page for each design as I normally do, because as of this writing, only two of the patterns have Ravelry pages.






Pattern #1. This has some impressive stitchwork in it, but the lines of it are not all that flattering or practical.





Pattern #2. Some quite distinctive detailing on this. I'm not sure I care for the rolled effect on the armhole though, or the way the v-neck is finished. I'd be inclined to edge them both with garter stitch to match the bottom hem edging.





Pattern #3. A very nice lacy pullover for summer. I'm imagining this one in a selection of bright, fresh colours or pure white, as this dull oatmeal is doing the design no favours.





Pattern #4. This has a slightly askew, frumpy look. Fixing the dropped shoulders might help somewhat.





Pattern #5. The combination of the romantic, almost Edwardian front with the daring bared back really works, and the varied, yet beautifully integrated stitchwork in this is fantastic.





Pattern #6. This isn't bad. The pattern is attractive, and the little scarf effect is an interesting contemporary touch.





Pattern #7. Really eye-catching and attractive play of colour and pattern here. I'd want to keep going and make an afghan of this. Which is not to say, as I sometimes do, that this wrap would look better on a couch. It's so cool it would work both on a person and on a couch.





Pattern #8. A rather clever and sporty tee.





Pattern #9. A simple tank with its interest lying in the fact that it's knitted in a plush yarn. It would look better if it were slightly neater fitting.





Pattern #10. A very simple yet fetching piece.





Pattern #11. I'm not a big fan of the slit sleeve, but I must admit these sit well and it wouldn't be the same piece if the sleeves were made whole. I would make the body a little longer and slightly neater fitting.





Pattern #12, Cable Tank. This is one of those designs that grew on me as I looked at it. I like the laddering at the sides and the simple cable detailing. I suspect most women won't care to wear such a deep neckline, especially when this is a piece that will require a strapless bra, but that's easily corrected.





Pattern #13. Oooh, this shaped ribbed sleeveless dress is simple and flattering and classic. I would totally wear this.





Pattern #14. A well-shaped mesh tunic. Though the "what a bee threw up after overdosing on a lilac bush"-coloured yarn wasn't a particularly happy choice.





Pattern #15. A lovely wrap. The detail on the edging is fantastic.





Pattern #16. Another very attractive wrap.





Pattern #17, Garter and Lace Shawl. And here's the cover item. Such lovely contemporary-style lacework.

1 comment:

  1. once again i agree with you about most everything except...#6...yuck...i totally hate that 'scarf' thing and what a terrible color...i don't get that one at all...

    ReplyDelete